Replacing fan in SPS-8400 PSU

• I have a noisy SPS-8400 PSU and is about to change the fan.

The specs for the current fan is 71 m3/h, 34 dB and 3000 RPM. It runs 2000 RPM when idle and steps up to 3000 RPM when I draw around 20A@13.8V. The one I plan to put in is spec'd 50 m3/h, 19 dB and 2000 RPM. I also plan to ease the airflow to compensate for the lower capacity and to further reduce noise. I wonder how low I can go with fan capacity. Do any of you have an opinion or experience?

Do any of you know whether the fan is adjustable by one of the pots on the main board? Pot RV6 for instance?

Kind regards Søren

(I use the PSU to charge model helicopter batteries)

• The new fan seems to be a Papst or something like that, could be a bit weak...
    Is there no possibility to put in a bigger one? Normally they produce more airflow at a less annoying noise.

btw. welcome in our forums! I believe, there were only about one or two people outside Switzerland/Germany registred here until now :D

"It really is as useful as a snooze button on a smoke alarm" Jeremy Clarkson

"Wennsd den Baum siehst, in den du rein fährst, hast untersteuern. Wennsd ihn nur hörst, hast übersteuern" Walter Röhrl

• is it this model?

where's the fan mounted? in the back, I guess? the diameter is probably 80mm?

personally, I would cut a hole into the top of the case und mount there a 120mm-fan which works on low rpm :)

• I plan to put a NoiseBlocker S2 in it. It is an 80 mm fan.

The fan is mounted in the back and the casing is 95 mm heigh, so I could put a 92 mm fan in it. The 92mm fans that I've looked at didn´t seem all that silent. I probably didn't look hard enough :)

The internal heat sinks leave no room for a fan in the top. Don't want to mount it externally.

• yeah, let's give it a try with a 80mm low-noise fan first. if the power supply seems to overheat you can still look for another possible solution ;)

• Thanks for the nice wellcome.

I guess from the answers that I could be ok with the little 80mm fan. I'll try that first.

Did anyone know whether the fan controller in the SPS-8400 is adjustable?

• Zitat

The fan is mounted in the back and the casing is 95 mm heigh, so I could put a 92 mm fan in it. The 92mm fans that I've looked at didn´t seem all that silent. I probably didn't look hard enough

Welcome to tweaker.ch

For a 92mm fan you can probably build or buy a regulation.
    Something like this: So you can adjust between 0 and 12 V.

For low voltages are the fans from YS-Tech good.

And sorry for my bad english I hope you understand what I mean...

8600 GT Nvidia Geforce | 160GB Festplatte | 15,4" Widescreen | 10.5.1 Leopard | 4 GB Ram | 2,45 kg | 2,4 GHZ DualCore | 1 happy User

Bios-Tuner? Ich habe gar kein Bios :'(